- B.A. University of Kansas, 1974
- J.D. Washburn University Law School, 1976
Courts where admitted
- Supreme Court of Iowa 1977
- Supreme Court of Kansas 1977
- Supreme Court of Texas 1982
- Supreme Court of New Mexico 1981
Licensed to practice before all State Courts of Texas, New Mexico, Iowa, and Kansas. Licensed to practice before the United States District Courts of Kansas, Iowa, New Mexico, and Texas (Western, Eastern, Southern, and Northern Districts of Texas), as well as the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and the U.X. Ax Court.
- United States Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps, 1977 to 1981. Served as Judge Advocate prosecutor in over 120 felony jury trials. Awarded the Meritorious Service Medal, 1981. Honorable Discharge, Fort Hood, Texas, 1981.
- Mayfield and Perrenot, P.C., El Paso, Texas, 1981 to 1996. Head of firm’s litigation section, which was comprised of six attorneys and six legal assistants. Practice initially consisted of commercial litigation but evolved into an insurance defense and medical malpractice specialty.
- The Law Office of Victor F. Poulos, P.C., 1520 N. Campbell, El Paso, Texas 79902. July 1, 1996 to December 31, 1999. Represented Plaintiffs in product liability, personal injury and medical negligence claims.
- Poulos & Dickey, L.L.P., 1520 N. Campbell, El Paso, Texas 79902. January 1, 2000 to May 31, 2002. Two attorneys and two paralegals specializing in medical malpractice and healthcare negligence actions, personal injury, deceptive trade practice defense, and business litigation. Lead local counsel for Allstate Insurance Company.
- Volk Poulos & Coates, L.L.P., 5915 Silver Springs Drive, Building l, El Paso, Texas 79912. June 1, 2002 to 2013. Comprised of three attorneys, one nurse and two paralegals representing victims of birth injuries, pediatric and adult malpractice, and hospital and nursing home negligence and other catastrophic injury claims. Business litigation on a contingent basis.
- Poulos & Coates LLP, 2013 to present. Three attorneys, all representing victims of medical negligence. Business litigation on a contingent basis.
- Chairman; New Mexico Human Rights Commission; Volunteer position appointed by the Governor of New Mexico. 2019 to present.
Extensive jury trial experience as lead counsel in general casualty, construction, automobile, bad faith, product liability, deceptive trade practice, medical malpractice, personal injury and complex business litigation. Briefed and personally argued appeals before the Kansas Supreme Court, New Mexico Supreme Court, Texas Courts of Appeal, Texas Supreme Court, and the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Trial and Appellate Counsel in Moriel vs. Transportation Insurance Company, 879 S.W. 2d, 10 (Tex. 1994).
- Selected by peers as a “Texas Super Lawyer” 2008 – 2010; Southwest Super Lawyer 2015-2021
- AV Rated Martindale-Hubbell. 25 Year AV Preeminent Award.
Current Memberships In Professional Organizations
- State Bar Associations of Texas and New Mexico
- El Paso Bar Association; Dona Ana County Bar Association
- State Bar College
- American Association of Justice
- American Board of Trial Advocates, National Board Representative and President, El Paso Chapter 2006
- New Mexico Trial Lawyers Foundation: Board of Directors 2010 to present, Texas Bar Foundation-El Paso Chapter Director 2015-2018; Fellow.
Attended the ATLA Basic Advocacy Course in Reno, Nevada in 1978, and have attended at least two seminars annually since that date with primary emphasis in medical malpractice and litigation techniques.
- Member: State Bar College (Requires 40 hours of CLE annually to sustain membership.)
- Lecturer: New Mexico Trial Lawyers Foundation “Voir Dire As An Evidentiary Hearing” May 2002.
- State Bar Associations of Texas and New Mexico
- El Paso Bar Association
- State Bar College
- American Association for Justice
- American Board of Trial Advocates, National Board Representative and President El Paso – Chapter 2006
- New Mexico Trial Lawyers Foundation: Board of Directors 2010-present
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation; Board of Directors El Paso Bar Foundation 2014-Present
- National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, Top Ten Award; 2014-1016
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel; Nation’s Top One Percent, 2015
- Selected as “Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyer’s Magazine; Texas and Southwest 2002, 2009, 2010, 2015 and 2016
- Selected to “New Mexico Top Lawyers of 2013 -2015”
- Selected to National Trial Lawyers “Top 100” – 2016
- AV Rated Martindale-Hubbell
Current Memberships In Civic Organizations
- Instructor, Aviation Law, Central Texas College. 1979 to 1981
- Director, Vice President, Goodwill Industries, Inc. 1982 to 1984
- Leadership El Paso. 1984
- St. Mark’s United Methodist Church, Board of Trustees. 1984 to 1986.
- Nominee, Jaycees Outstanding Young El Pasoan, 1986.
- Campaign Manager, Honorable Ward Koehler, Judge 168th District Court, 8th Court of Appeals. 1986 and 1988
- Board of Directors, Sunturians, 1987 to 1993.
- President, Sunturians, 1996.
- Board of Directors, Epilepsy El Paso, 1990 to 1991.
- Campaign Finance Chairman, Honorable Suzie Azar, Mayor, 1990 to 1991.
- Board of Directors, Therapeutic Horsemanship of El Paso, Inc., 1992 to 1994.
- Campaign Treasurer, C.R. “Bobby” Ortiz, Republican Candidate, 16th Congressional District. 1994 and 2004.
- El Paso County Historical Commission; Historian of the Year, 1996.
- Board of Directors, Amigo Airsho, 1984 to 1988.
- President, Amigo Airsho, 1987.
- El Paso Chamber of Commerce, Legal Committee, 1996.
- El Paso International Airport, Board of Directors, Vice Chairman, 2001 to 2006.
- El Paso Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2001 to 2004.
- El Paso Zoological Society, Board of Directors, 2005 to present. Vice President and Chairman of
- Marketing Committee, 2006; Chairman of Capital Fundraising Committee, 2008; President 2009.
- The Paso Del Norte Group, 2005 to 2009.
- El Paso Police Foundation Board of Directors, 2007 to 2010. First Vice President 2008.
- Rebuilding Together, El Paso Advisory Board of Directors, 2007.
- Texas Wine and Grape Growers Association, Foundation Board of Directors, 2008-2009.
- Congressional Campaign Committee, Honorable Silvestre Reyes, Congressman, 16th Judicial District. 2008 to 2012.
- Board of Directors, War Eagles Museum, Santa Teresa Airport, NM 2016- to present
- Board of Directors, El Paso Humane Society Endowment Board of Directors 2016 to present
- Vice President 2018-2021
- Lecturer and Wine Host, AMA Waterways 2015 – 2019
- Host wine River Cruises in Europe
Other Business Interests
- Owner, Zin Valle Vineyards. Bonded Winery and Vineyards. 2000 case production and sales, 2004 to present.
- Renelli’s, Inc. Italian restaurant, founded with partner Richard N. Azar. 1996 to 1998.
- Owner, Miglioverde Brew Pub, Montepulciano, Italy, present
- Owner, Fattoria Svetoni Winery and Villa, Montepulciano, Italy, present
- Owner, Saturn of El Paso, Inc. Automobile franchise purchased with partner Gerhard Mueller. Vice President and General Counsel. 1990 to 2006. Dealership locations in El Paso, Texas and Las Cruces, New Mexico.
- Flitelite. Owner and Board of Directors. Manufacturer of Aviation related products.
- Private Pilot/ Aerobatics/ Restoration of Antique Aircraft/Owner of 1941 Waco Upf- 7 aircraft
- Enology and Viticulture
- Written over 400 articles published by Gannett Newspapers on wine related items